Chapter 4: Filing the Thesis: Academic Integrity Reminder,
Copyright, and On-campus Filing
Section 4.3 Library/Electronic Submission
Deliver one original copy and four additional copies of the thesis, and any desired personal copies, in individual protective envelopes, labeled with your name, to the Office of Graduate Studies and Research for final approval at least two weeks prior to commencement. Students, are responsible for binding costs, and will need to submit the binding fee to the Office of Graduate Studies and Research at this time. A check must be written directly to the binding company, Houchen Bindery.
The UNK Library, which forwards the theses on for binding, will retain two bound copies of each thesis, one for the Archives Collection and one for the Circulating Book Collection. Also submit an electronic version of the thesis to ProQuest CSA's UMI Dissertation Publishing at http://www.etdadmin.com/unk. The website will provide you with detailed instructions. Once you access ProQuest (also available from UNK's Graduate Studies and Research website), you should:
- Read the section on the first screen titled "Before you begin" for helpful information. Note: the full text of your thesis must be converted to a PDF format prior to submitting it to ProQuest. If you need help in the conversion process, links are available at the first ProQuest screen.
- Once the PDF format conversion is complete, you are ready to begin the process by clicking on "Start your submission."
- At "Publishing Agreement" select TR-1, Traditional Publishing Agreement" and continue.
- Enter your personal information at "About You."
- Provide information about your thesis at "Submission Details."
- Upload your PDF formatted thesis. Remember, ProQuest/UMI will assist you in converting your thesis to a PDF file if necessary.
- Next you will have the option of submitting "Supplemental Files," such as figures, tables, or graphics.
- At "Copyright Fees," you have the option of having ProQuest/UMI submit an application to the U.S. Copyright Office for you. There is a charge. Be sure to click "I am not requesting that UMI register my copyright" if you do not want this service.
- ProQuest/UMI offers additional copies for a charge at "Bound Copies." This is an optional service. (Note: you are required to submit one original and four additional copies of your thesis, plus any additional personal copies to the Office of Graduate Studies and Research for binding.) Click "Continue with submission" to proceed.