College of Fine Arts and Humanities
Go directly to:
- Ralph Hanson, Chair
- Professors: Hanson,
- Associate Professors: Hogg,
- Assistant Professors: Jackson,
- Senior Lecturers: Diffenderfer,
L. Jacobsen, Scholwin
- Lecturers: G. Anderson,
Department Mission Statement
The faculty of the Department of Communication at the University of Nebraska at Kearney will offer communication courses of the
highest quality to undergraduate majors, non-majors and graduate students through formal classroom instruction, distance education,
laboratory experiences and internships.
The Communication faculty will strive to instill in students the necessity to:
- be independent thinkers who are able to develop ideas and clearly express them in oral and written
- be analytical creators and critical consumers of oral and mediated messages;
- have an understanding of the history, theory and current issues in their discipline;
- have an appreciation for the diversity of people;
- demonstrate team skills important to leaders and followers; and
- possess basic technological skills.
The faculty are uniquely qualified to provide instruction in the areas of advertising and public relations, journalism,
multimedia, organizational and relational communication, and speech education.
Minimum Grade Point Average in the Major
Students selecting a major in the Department of Communication must earn a minimum 2.5 G.P.A. in the major.
Students selecting a major in Journalism or Advertising and Public Relations must compile evidence of achievement particular to
their chosen career field. Students will present this portfolio and discuss its contents with a Faculty Portfolio Committee in the
semester prior to their graduation.
Journalism and Mass Communication majors are required to take JMC 100GS Global Media Literacy as their Democracy General Studies
course. It is recommended that students consult with a departmental advisor about this issue.
JOURNALISM AND MASS COMMUNICATION MAJOR
Three options are available in this major:
- Journalism - Bachelor of Arts Degree
or Journalism - Bachelor of Science Degree
- Advertising and Public Relations - Bachelor of Arts Degree
or Advertising and Public Relations - Bachelor of Science Degree
- Multimedia - Bachelor of Arts Degree
or Multimedia - Bachelor of Science Degree
Two options are available in this major:
- Organizational and Relational Communication Comprehensive - Bachelor of Science Degree
- Speech Communication 7-12 Teaching Subject Endorsement - Bachelor of Arts in Education Degree
Minors in Advertising and Public Relations,
Journalism, Media Production,
Multimedia and Professional Communication are available. The
Elementary Education Major has a specially defined minor in Speech/Theatre.
Courses with the prefix JMC and SPCH are offered by the