There are 43 buildings on the 246-acre campus of UNK. The major buildings are:
- William E. Bruner Hall of Science
Completed in August, 1966, this facility houses Biology, Chemistry, Physics
and Health Science Programs as well as the Mary Morse Lecture
- Calvin T. Ryan Library
This building was erected in 1963. An addition in 1983 doubled the size of
the facility. The attached Mitchell Center includes radio and television
broadcasting facilities and houses the Communication Department.
- College of Education Building
Completed in 2002, the College of Education Building is a 50,000 square foot,
$9.5 million building with state-of-the-art technology. The building has been
designed with the needs of teaching and clinical education as its focus. Six
large classrooms are equipped with electronic teaching stations, wireless
computer capabilities and the potential for computer-assisted teaching in a
variety of teaching configurations. Fifty faculty offices are provided for the
departments of Counseling and School Psychology,
Communication Disorders, Educational
Administration and Teacher Education, along
with other spaces for the Dean of Education,
advising, teacher certification activities, and administrative support.
- Communications Center Building
Part of the former State Hospital complex acquired in 1972, this newly renovated building
is used by Publications and Printing Services and the Office of University Communications
on the first level, the Distance Learning Research Center on the second floor, and
the Center for Distance Education on the third floor.
- Copeland Hall
Built and used as the campus gymnasium from 1918 to 1961, this building was used for
offices and classes until 1995 when a classroom addition was built. The original building
was renovated in 1996 and now houses offices for the Dean of Natural and Social Sciences
and the Departments of Sociology, Geography and Earth Science;
History; and Psychology.
- Cushing Health, Physical Education and Recreation Facility
Originally constructed in 1961, this facility has undergone extensive renovation. The
renovated building houses classrooms, offices, laboratories, locker facilities, an indoor
running track, racquetball, tennis, basketball and volleyball courts, weight area and
swimming pool. These facilities service recreation and intramural programs in addition to
space for intercollegiate athletic teams and the
Department of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Leisure
- Facilities Building
This brick structure houses offices for Facilities Management and Planning.
- Fine Arts Building
This building houses the facilities for Music and Performing
Arts and the office of the Dean of
Fine Arts and Humanities. It opened in January, 1970, and in 1979 a wing was added to
house the Department of Art and Art History
and the Walker Art Gallery.
- Founders Hall
Opened in 1977 and dedicated to the original faculty of UNK, this facility now
serves as the administrative hub of the University. Offices include the
Chancellor and Vice Chancellors, Dean of Student Life, Finance, Student
Records and Registration, Human Resources, Business Services, and Budget, on
the first level. Second level includes offices of Institutional Research,
General Studies, Assessment, Graduate Studies, Sponsored Programs,
Women's Studies, and faculty offices and classrooms for Departments of Social
Work, Mathematics and Statistics, Political Science and Criminal Justice in
the College of Natural & Social Sciences.
- Frank House
This historic mansion, constructed in 1889, is listed on the National Register of Historic
Places. It is now used for University functions and is open to the public as a museum.
- General Services Building
Originally built as the Military Science building in 1969, this building now houses
the offices of Facilities Management and Planning.
- Health and Sports Center
Dedicated during the fall of 1990, this state-of-the-art facility houses UNK's indoor
spectator sports. In addition, offices, locker facilities, equipment rooms, athletic
weight area, athletic training facilities, wrestling and martial arts rooms are located in
the building. Concession and restroom facilities serve spectators utilizing the 6000-seat
- Memorial Student Affairs Building
Constructed in 1956 and remodeled in 1964 and 1984, this building houses Admissions,
Campus Post Office, Public Safety, Career
Services, Counseling Center,
Academic Advising Office, Student
Support Services, Financial Aid,
Learning Strategies Office, and Student Health.
- The Museum of Nebraska Art
Located in downtown Kearney, the historic old post office became the home of the Nebraska
Art Collection in October of 1986. The collection shows the cultural heritage and current
status of art in Nebraska. Extensive remodeling and expansion of the building, including
the development of a park, was completed in 1994. UNK's art education program utilizes the
facility on a regular basis.
- The Nebraskan Student Union
This building was opened in 1964. A major renovation and
addition was completed in 2002 adding 25,000 suare feet.
The Nebraskan houses the Office of Multicultural Affairs.
- Ockinga Seminar Center
Constructed adjacent to Welch Hall as a gift from the Clara Ockinga estate, this building
provides two seminar rooms used by the University and the public
and the office of International Education.
- Otto Olsen Building
Built in 1957, this structure houses Family
Studies and Interior Design, Industrial Technology, Computer Science and Information Systems,
Information Technology Services and the
Child Development Center.
- Residence Halls
UNK has twelve residence halls and University Heights apartments to accommodate students
residing on campus. They are described in the Student Affairs section under the
heading Housing Facilities.
- Ron & Carol Cope Center for Safety Education and Research
Constructed in 1981, the area includes a driving range and provides space for services
offered by the Nebraska Safety Center.
- A.O. Thomas Hall
A campus school from 1926-1963, it now houses the Departments of English, Modern Languages and Philosophy.
- Roland B. Welch Hall
This facility was part of the 1972 State Hospital complex acquisition. In
1989 the building, which now houses International
Education, was named Roland B. Welch Hall in honor of a long-time business professor.
- West Center
In 1972 UNK acquired the former State Hospital complex. A major renovation
was completed in 2001 and now provides facilities for the College
of Business and Technology Dean, Departments of Accounting/Finance, Economics,
Management, Marketing and Management Information Systems, and the College of
Business and Technology Centers for Economics Education, Rural Research &
Development, Nebraska Safety Education and Nebraska Business Development. In
addition, the building houses UNMC's College of Nursing, Kearney Division..
11 May 2006