UNK Home Page UNK Tools

Conrad Hall  (308) 865-8932

The Office of Residential and Greek Life is the branch of the University responsible for the residential services and many of the activities and programs available to students on campus. One of the largest departments on the UNK campus, "Res Life" coordinates not just the housing assignment and maintenance of the physical aspects of the housing facilities, but also a broad range of educational, cultural, recreational, and social programs. Living in on-campus housing assists students in gaining a better understanding of other life styles and cultures. The on-campus experience can be one of the best aspects of a student's collegiate career. These efforts ensure the quality of students' on-campus experience. Approximately 2,250 students live on campus in ten traditional residence halls, one apartment-style complex, and two Greek complexes. Each housing facility is supervised by a live-in Hall Director, and is staffed by live-in Resident Advisors on the floors. Most residence facilities feature several lounges, study areas, and recreational spaces for student interaction and involvement. All halls feature computer labs, which are networked to the UNK mainframe computers. These labs are available exclusively for on-campus students.

All residence halls are wired for computer network access. From their residence hall rooms, students may access email, library resources, course syllabi, online registration and other personal information. The network also provides a fast internet connection.

A variety of specific living environment options are available to students. Each room is furnished with desks, chairs, window coverings, dresser space, beds/mattresses, mirrors, closets, cable TV, and local telephone service. Each hall also has computer labs, kitchens, lounges, laundry, and recreational facilities, as well as a variety of home and recreational equipment available for residents to check out at their hall's front desk. Students furnish bed linens, blankets, pillows, towels, and items to personalize their room.

Some students are interested in floors designed for particular student interest groups. Several environments are available as options, and as student interest merits: Freshman Honors Floor, and upper-class Honors Hall, Independent Living/Meal-Plan Optional Floors, Co-Ed by Room/Suite, Single Rooms (at an additional charge) and Learning Communities coordinated by the College of Business and Technology, the College of Education and the Dean of Student Life. All options are noted on the Housing Contract. Detailed information is available by contacting the Office of Residential and Greek Life.

Greek Chapter House: Four national fraternities and four national sororities maintain a chapter house on campus. One national fraternity lives off campus. Students must be members of the chapter to live in the house. Being a member of a Greek organization will open doors to success in leadership, scholarship and the Kearney community. For more information contact the Office of Residential and Greek Life.
10+ and 14+ Meal Plans: The "+" plans (also known as "point plans") can work like cash at both cafeteria and non-cafeteria food service sites across campus. These meal plan options make it possible to add a flexible food points aspect to more traditional 10, 15, or 20 meals-per-week plans. These options combine the indicated number of standard meals (10 or 14 meals per week) with $100 per semester worth of food points. Points do not carry over from semester to semester and points cannot be refunded if you change from or drop your 10+ or 14+ meal plan. Meal points can also be purchased, at any time, independently of, or in addition to any meal plan. To purchase points independently or in addition to the above plans, please contact the Chartwells office in the Nebraskan Student Union (308) 865-8428.

Break Housing: Most residence halls will be closed during the Thanksgiving, Winter and Spring breaks and students must find alternate off-campus housing during these periods. For an additional non-refundable fee, Centennial Towers East, Case Hall and Men's Hall stay open to residents during break periods. Detailed information about break housing is available at the Office of Residential and Greek Life.

16 May 2005