College of Natural and Social Sciences
MATHEMATICS AND STATISTICS
Go directly to:
- Randall Heckman, Chair
- Professors: Barlow, Heckman,
Associate Professors: Lutfiyya, Niemann, Willis
Assistant Professors: S. Bean, Hossain, Kime, Stewart
Lecturers: Amstutz, Michener,
- To prepare students to pursue graduate programs in mathematics and/or statistics;
- To provide entry level training for those wishing to pursue careers in mathematics
education, actuarial science, or selected segments of the business/industrial/governmental
sector of the economy.
- To provide the courses to meet the requirements of General Studies;
- To provide the courses to meet the service functions for departments requiring knowledge
- Placement in the proper course is of utmost importance to the Department. The ACT or
Department Placement Examination will be used for placement.
- Students who have completed a full year of Calculus in high school may start in Calculus
II or Calculus III. If they earn at least a "C" then they will earn 5 or 10
hours credit for the course(s) they skipped.
- CLEP Examination must be taken before completing higher level courses.
- All majors and endorsements must be completed with no grade below a "C".
- Math 090 credit will not count toward any university degrees.
- Five major Options are available:
- I. Mathematics Option - Bachelor of Arts Degree
Mathematics Option - Bachelor of Science Degree
II. Mathematics Comprehensive Option - Bachelor of Science
- Applied Emphasis
III. Math/Actuary Science Comprehensive Option - Bachelor of
IV. Mathematics Teaching Subject Endorsement Option - Bachelor
of Science in Education Degree
V. Mathematics Teaching Field Endorsement Option - Bachelor of
Science in Education Degree
The minor in Mathematics is available for students pursuing
majors in other disciplines. The Elementary Education major has a specially defined minor.
- Three Options are available in this major:
- I. Statistics Option - Bachelor of Arts Degree
Statistics Option - Bachelor of Science Degree
II. Statistics Comprehensive Option - Bachelor of Science Degree
III. Statistics/Actuarial Science Comprehensive Option -
Bachelor of Science Degree
The minor in Statistics is available for students pursuing
majors in other disciplines
Courses with the prefixes MATH and STAT
are offered by the department.