College of Natural and Social Sciences
Go directly to:
- Mark Ellis, Chair
- Professors: Ailes,
Lilly, Van Ingen,
- Associate Professor: Rohrer
- Assistant Professors: Koepp,
Jinny Turman, Wells
Students graduating from the University of Nebraska at Kearney with a degree administered
by the History Department will demonstrate the historical knowledge, skills, and values associated with an educated citizenry,
- a working knowledge of past events, people, ideas, and values in the United States and in other parts
of the world.
- an understanding of contemporary society from a historical perspective that includes multi-cultural and global contexts.
- an understanding of the historical foundations of democracy, pluralism, and tolerance.
- the ability to interpret the meaning of historical texts in their social, political, economic, and cultural contexts, and to
synthesize the implications of historical developments within a particular region or culture.
- the ability to create historical narratives that integrate change and continuity over time, employing current historiography
and historical methods.
- critical thinking and analysis through effective communications skills appropriate to the discipline of history.
- an ability to locate, gather, and organize a variety of historical information.
- intellectual curiosity and a commitment to the pursuit of knowledge.
- an awareness and appreciation for diverse views and contributions to culture and society.
- an appreciation for the study of history as a means of understanding both past and contemporary societies.
HISTORY-SOCIAL SCIENCE MAJOR
Four options are available in this major:
- History - Bachelor of Arts Degree
- History-Social Science Comprehensive - Bachelor of Science Degree
- History 7-12 Teaching Subject Endorsement - Bachelor of Arts in Education Degree
- History-Social Science 7-12 Teaching Field Endorsement - Bachelor of Arts in Education Degree
A minor in History is available for students pursuing majors in other disciplines. Elementary
Education majors may also minor in Social Science.
Courses with the prefixes HIST and SOSC are offered by the
15 May 2015