College of Natural and Social Sciences
Go directly to:
The Chemistry program is on the American Chemical Society's list of approved programs.
- Carl D. Sterner, Chair
- Professors: Kaufman, Sterner, Wubbles
Associate Professor: Clark
Assistant Professors: Darveau, Exstrom, Gindt, Heller, Mosher
- To prepare students to work as professional chemists;
- To prepare teachers in subject matter and in methods for the teaching of chemistry and related subjects;
- To give a background in chemistry for students in biology, physics, family and consumer sciences, earth science, and physical education;
- To furnish pre-professional work for those preparing for professional work in medicine, dentistry, nursing, engineering, medical technology and other allied health areas;
- To prepare students for graduate work in chemistry.
Five options are available in this major:
The minor in Chemistry is available for students pursuing majors in other disciplines.
- I. Professional Chemist's Option - Bachelor of Arts Degree
Professional Chemist's Option - Bachelor of Science Degree
II. Chemistry Option - Bachelor of Arts Degree
or Chemistry Option - Bachelor of Science Degree
III. Chemistry Comprehensive Option - Bachelor of Science Degree
IV. Molecular Biology Option - Bachelor of Science Degree
V. Chemistry Teaching Subject Endorsement Option - Bachelor of Science in Education Degree
Courses with the prefix CHEM are offered by the department.