College of Natural and Social Sciences
Go directly to:
The Social Work Department at the University of Nebraska at Kearney will prepare competent social work
practitioners. Our graduates will be equipped with evidence-based generalist social work knowledge, skills, ethics and values to
promote the dignity and well-being of all people within a diverse society.
- Equip students with core competencies for beginning generalist social work practice that enables them to work with
individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities.
- Prepare students for lifelong learning and the application of critical thinking to guide professional decision-making by
combining a liberal arts foundation with social work education.
- Prepare students to develop a professional identity, which will incorporate the knowledge, skills, values, and ethical
principles of the social work profession that are crucial for the advancement of human rights, and economic and social justice.
- Prepare students for evidence-based practice with diverse and marginalized populations.
- Prepare students as beginning social work generalist practitioners who are engaged in research informed practice and
practice informed research.
The Social Work Department is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. The department does not grant
academic credit for life experience or previous work experience. Social Work students are expected to work closely with their
advisor to ensure that General Studies and major requirements are taken in the right sequence.
SOCIAL WORK MAJOR
One option is available in this major:
- Social Work Comprehensive - Bachelor of Science Degree
The Social Work minor is available and recommended for students pursuing majors in other helping
professions or human services.
Courses with the prefix SOWK are offered by the department.
12 May 2014