College of Natural and Social Sciences
MATHEMATICS AND STATISTICS
Go directly to:
- To prepare students to pursue graduate programs in mathematics and/or statistics;
- To provide entry level training for those wishing to pursue careers in mathematics education, actuarial science, or selected
segments of the business/industrial/governmental sector of the economy;
- To provide the courses to meet the requirements of General Studies;
- To provide the courses to meet the service functions for departments requiring knowledge of mathematics.
- Placement in the proper course is of utmost importance to the student and the Department. The ACT Math
Subscore is used to place traditional entering freshmen in our entry level college mathematics courses. Consult the
departmental course listings for information on minimal ACT Math Subscore requirements for our entry level courses.
- Students who have completed a full year of Calculus in high school may start in Calculus II or Calculus III. If they earn at
least a "C" then they will earn 5 or 10 hours credit for the course(s) they skipped.
- CLEP Examination must be taken before completing higher level courses.
- All majors and endorsements must be completed with no grade below a "C".
- Math 090 credit will not count toward any university degrees.
- Students will not be allowed to register and get credit for any 100 level mathematics course after having successfully
completed (C or better) another mathematics or statistics course for which the said 100 level course is a prerequisite.
Three options are available in this major:
- Mathematics - Bachelor of Arts Degree
or Mathematics - Bachelor of Science Degree
- Mathematics Comprehensive - Bachelor of Science Degree
- Mathematics 7-12 Teaching Field Endorsement - Bachelor of Science in Education Degree
The minor in Mathematics is available for students pursuing majors in other disciplines. The
Elementary Education Major has a specially defined minor in Mathematics.
Courses with the prefixes MATH and STAT are offered by the
9 May 2013