College of Natural and Social Sciences
Go directly to:
Students graduating from the University of Nebraska at
Kearney with a degree administered by the History Department will demonstrate
the historical knowledge, skills, and values associated with an educated
- a working knowledge of past events, people, ideas, and values in the
United States and in other parts of the world.
- an understanding of contemporary society from a historical perspective
that includes multi-cultural and global contexts.
- an understanding of the historical foundations of democracy, pluralism,
- the ability to interpret the meaning of historical texts in their
social, political, economic, and cultural contexts, and to synthesize the
implications of historical developments within a particular region or
- the ability to create historical narratives that integrate change and
continuity over time, employing current historiography and historical
- critical thinking and analysis through effective communications skills
appropriate to the discipline of history.
- an ability to locate, gather, and organize a variety of historical
- intellectual curiosity and a commitment to the pursuit of knowledge.
- an awareness and appreciation for diverse views and contributions to
culture and society.
- an appreciation for the study of history as a means of understanding
both past and contemporary societies.
HISTORY-SOCIAL SCIENCE MAJOR
Four options are available in this major:
- History Option - Bachelor of Arts Degree
- History-Social Science Comprehensive Option - Bachelor
of Science Degree
- History 7-12 Teaching Subject Endorsement Option -
Bachelor of Arts in Education Degree
- History-Social Science 7-12 Teaching Field Endorsement
Option - Bachelor of Arts in Education Degree
A minor in History is available for students pursuing
majors in other disciplines. Elementary Education majors may also minor in Social Science.
Courses with the prefixes HIST and SOSC are offered by the department.
11 Aug 2008