Business Administration Program Information and Admission Requirements
Go directly to:
Master of Business Administration Degree
The College of Business and Technology at the University of Nebraska at Kearney (UNK) offers an AACSB
International (The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) accredited, 30 hour, Master of Business Administration
degree. The MBA degree is a professional graduate degree designed to provide a challenging, experiential, educational experience
for graduate students who desire to assume positions of increasing scope and responsibility in business, nonprofit or public
service sectors. Required courses are offered primarily in the evening or online to accommodate students with time constraints.
The students in the MBA Program will develop skills to solve problems in Government Organizations (GOs), Non-governmental
not-for-profit Organizations (NGOs) and businesses through integration of all organizational functions. The core emphasis of the
program is on honing students' critical thinking, problem solving, and decision making skills within the context of both the US and
global economy, and preparing students to meet the inherent challenges in the rapidly changing global and economic environment.
The purpose of the program is to improve and enhance the student's management skills in GOs, NGOs and business sectors. The program
is also suited to those with baccalaureate in areas other than business.
Applicants may choose to be considered for full, unconditional admission
through any one of the following four options:
Meeting the minimum criteria only assures applicants the consideration of their application for admission to the MBA program. An
application must be complete in all respects to be considered for admission to the program.
Those who fail to meet the minimal requirements may be considered for conditional admission to the MBA program. (Refer to the
policy on Degree Admission Status, Conditional Admission, for more information.) Such an
admission imposes certain academic limitations on the admitted students. This option is not available for international applicants.
International students must be fully admitted to receive their I-20.
- International students:
In addition to the admission requirements spelled out in the International Students section of
this catalog, applicants must meet the following additional criteria:
- Those with a baccalaureate degree from a country where English is not the native language must take the TOEFL and receive
a minimum 213 on the computerized TOEFL exam or 550 on the paper TOEFL exam.
- Applicants whose baccalaureate degrees were earned outside the United States are required to have their transcripts
evaluated by a credential evaluation firm. Refer to the international graduate application form for additional information.
- Students with only a baccalaureate degree from countries that award three-year baccalaureate degrees may not be eligible
to be admitted to the Master's program.
To apply to the MBA Program:
- Go to
- Fill out the application.
- Submit a resume.
- Provide a 500-word personal essay, particularly addressing the following:
- Professional and personal accomplishments
- Personal strengths that helped accomplishment of the above
- Personal values, including what is important in a career
- Motivations to pursue a MBA at UNK
- Anticipated contributions to enhancing the educational experiences of other students in the program
- Post-MBA goals
- Ask two references (college professors, supervisors etc.) to complete their recommendation online. (Those applying for
admission to the MBA program through options 2 and 3 must have at least one recommendation letter from their supervisor who has
evaluated the applicant's performance within the past 2 years.) Candidates with significant professional experience may get an
additional recommendation from a subordinate.
For information regarding the requirements for admission to the MBA Program, please
- MBA Office
- West Center 135C
- University of Nebraska at Kearney
- Kearney, NE 68849-4580
- Telephone: (308) 865-8346
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
MBA Program Policies
In addition to the academic policies listed in the front of this catalog that govern all
graduate students, the following policies are specific to the MBA program:
- Students may need to complete up to 18 hours of MBA Foundational Core courses with a minimum grade of
"C" in each.
- Students must be fully admitted to the program to take more than 9 hours of required "MBA core" courses or graduate level
- Students shall maintain an average grade of at least "B" (3.0) in all graduate courses completed at the end of each
semester or summer session. No more than two Cs, and no grades below C, will be accepted in the MBA graduate program. Students
who receive a third "C" or below a "C" (C- or lower) will have to retake one of the courses to improve to a C+ or better.
- All academic policies of the Graduate School stated in this catalog and the MBA Student Policy
Handbook will apply.