There are 48 buildings on the 514-acre campus of UNK. The major buildings are:
- William E. Bruner Hall of Science
Built in 1966, the original Bruner Hall of Science footprint was 84,900 gross square feet, but in 1987 a 15,320 GSF Lecture
Hall added three additional levels. In 2004 deferred maintenance renovations upgraded building systems at a cost of $6.4
million. In 2009 a $14 million renovation addressed the upgrade of 47,000 GSF, the razing of Mary Morse Lecture Hall and the
construction of a 17,800 GSF new addition. The renovation upgraded and enhanced teaching and research labs and support spaces
within the existing building. The addition features a new planetarium and offices for the Health Science Programs, classrooms
and student lounge space. Other departments occupying the building are Biology,
Chemistry and Physics.
- Calvin T. Ryan Library
This building was erected in 1963. An addition in 1983 doubled the size of the facility. The Learning Commons (which includes
Peer Tutoring and the Writing Center) is housed in the Library. The attached Mitchell Center includes radio and television
broadcasting facilities and houses the Communication Department and Antelope Newspaper offices.
- College of Education Building
Completed in 2002, the College of Education Building is a 50,000 square foot building with state-of-the-art technology. The
building has been designed with the needs of teaching and clinical education as its focus. Six large classrooms are equipped
with electronic teaching stations, wireless computer capabilities and the potential for computer-assisted teaching in a variety
of teaching configurations. Fifty faculty offices are provided for the departments of
Counseling and School Psychology, Communication Disorders,
Educational Administration and Teacher Education, along with
other spaces for the Dean of Education, advising, teacher certification activities, and administrative support.
- Communications Center Building
Part of the former State Hospital complex acquired in 1972, this renovated building is used by Marketing and Creative
Services on the first level, Video Services on the second level and eCampus on the third level.
- Copeland Hall
Built and used as the campus gymnasium from 1918 to 1961, this building was used for offices and classes until 1995 when a
classroom addition was built. The original building was renovated in 1996 and now houses offices for the Dean of Natural and
Social Sciences and the Departments of Sociology, Geography and Earth Science;
History; and Psychology.
- Cushing Health, Physical Education and Recreation Facility
Originally constructed in 1961, this facility has undergone extensive renovation. The renovated building houses classrooms,
offices, laboratories, locker facilities, an indoor running track, racquetball, tennis, basketball and volleyball courts, weight
area and swimming pool. These facilities service recreation and intramural programs in addition to space for intercollegiate
athletic teams and the Department of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Leisure Studies.
- Facilities Building
This brick structure houses offices and work areas for Facilities Management and Planning and Police and Parking Services.
- Fine Arts Building
This building houses the department of Music and Performing Arts and the office of the Dean of
Fine Arts and Humanities. It opened in January, 1970, and in 1979 a wing was added to house the Department of
Art and Art History and the Walker Art Gallery. The Fine Arts Recital Hall and Miriam Drake
Theatre on the first level and the Studio Theatre on the lower level provide space for student and faculty performances.
- Founders Hall
Opened in 1977 and dedicated to the original faculty of UNK, this facility now serves as the administrative hub of the
University. Offices include the Chancellor and Vice Chancellors, Dean of Graduate Studies and Research, Finance, Student Records
and Registration, AA/EEO, Human Resources, Business Services, and Budget,
on the first level. Second level includes offices of Communications and Community Relations, Institutional Research, Ethnic
Studies, General Studies, Assessment, Graduate Admissions, Risk Management/Environmental Health and Safety, Sponsored Programs,
Telecommunications, and faculty offices and classrooms for Departments of Criminal Justice and Social Work,
Mathematics and Statistics and Political Science in the
College of Natural & Social Sciences.
- Frank House
The Historic Frank House mansion was constructed in 1889 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was wired
for electricity during construction and included bathrooms, steam heat, servant's quarters, ten fireplaces and hand-carved oak
woodwork. Its focal point is a large Tiffany stained glass window. Restoration of the house is an on-going project. It is now
used for University functions and is open to the public as a museum.
- General Services Building
Originally built as the Military Science building in 1969, this building now houses the public offices of Facilities Management
and Planning and Police and Parking Services.
- Health and Sports Center
Dedicated during the fall of 1990, this facility houses UNK's indoor spectator sports. In addition, offices for
the UNK intercollegiate athletics sports teams and the Athletic Director staff, locker facilities, equipment rooms, athletic
weight area, athletic training facilities, wrestling and martial arts rooms are located in the building. Concession and restroom
facilities serve spectators utilizing the 6000-seat arena.
- Memorial Student Affairs Building
Constructed in 1956 and remodeled in 1964 and 1984, this building houses the Dean for Student Affairs, Admissions, Campus Post
Office, Academic and Career Services Office, First Year Program, Student Support Services,
Financial Aid, Women's Center and
Counseling and Health Care (CHC).
- The Museum of Nebraska Art
Located on the Bricks in downtown Kearney, the Museum of Nebraska Art (MONA) is housed in a beautifully renovated 1911
Renaissance revival building listed on the National Register of Historic Places, providing an ideal setting for its collection
of over 5,000 works. Dedicated to telling the story of Nebraska through the art of Nebraska, MONA exhibits the work of a
distinguished and diverse group of artists with a tie to Nebraska or by artists from around the world who have depicted Nebraska
subjects. Originally a Post Office, the building was remodeled and expanded in 1993 and includes an outdoor sculpture garden.
The UNK community of students, faculty, and staff visit and are welcomed to MONA for a variety of classes, programs, and
- The Nebraskan Student Union
This building was opened in 1964. A major renovation and addition was completed in 2002 adding 25,000 square feet. The Nebraskan
houses union administrative offices, the Office of Multicultural Affairs as well as student activity offices, UNK food service
operations, the campus bookstore and conference space.
- Ockinga Seminar Center
Constructed adjacent to Welch Hall as a gift from the Clara Ockinga estate, this building provides two seminar rooms used by the
University and the public as well as the office of
- Otto Olsen Building
Built in 1957, this structure houses Family Studies and Interior Design,
Industrial Technology, Computer Science and Information Systems,
Information Technology Services and the
UNK Child Development Center.
- Residence Halls
UNK has eleven residence halls and University Heights apartments to accommodate students residing on campus. Two residence
halls with 2- and 4-bedroom suite living arrangements became available in the fall of 2007 and 2008. In addition, in 2008 UNK
began an $18 million renewal of residential space which will continue over six years. Renovations to all of the halls will
include replacement of furniture, paint and carpeting, sprinkler additions, remodeled restrooms, HVAC improvements and abatement.
- Ron & Carol Cope Center for Safety Education and Research
Constructed in 1981, the area includes a driving range and provides space for services offered by the
Nebraska Safety Center.
- A.O. Thomas Hall
A campus school from 1926-1963, it now houses the Departments of English,
Modern Languages and Philosophy.
- Roland B. Welch Hall
This facility was part of the 1972 State Hospital complex acquisition. In 1989 the building, which now houses International
Education, was named Roland B. Welch Hall in honor of a long-time business professor.
- West Center
In 1972 UNK acquired the former State Hospital complex. A major renovation was completed in 2001 and now provides facilities for
the College of Business and Technology Dean, Departments of Accounting/Finance, Economics,
Management, Marketing and Management Information Systems, and the College of Business and Technology Centers for Economics
Education, Rural Research & Development, Nebraska Safety Education and Nebraska Business Development. In addition, the
building houses UNMC's College of Nursing, Kearney Division.
29 May 2013