UNK Tools UNK Home Page


Go directly to:

Housing and dining costs may be changed at any time by the Board of Regents of the University of Nebraska.

Apartment and room only contracts may be available to upperclassmen living on designated Independent Living Floors. Contact the Office of Residence Life for details at http://www.unk.edu/offices/reslife/

Summer Sessions - see Summer Class Schedule

If a student withdraws from the university before the end of a term, board and room are partially refundable. Refund begins when a student properly checks out.

Living Accommodations

Approximately 2,200 students live on campus in ten traditional residence halls, one apartment-style complex, and two Greek complexes. Each housing facility is supervised by a live-in hall director, and is staffed by live-in resident advisors on the floors. Most residence facilities feature several lounges, study areas, and recreational spaces for student interaction and involvement. All halls feature computer labs which are networked to the UNK mainframe computers. These labs are available exclusively for on-campus students. All residence halls at UNK are wired for computer network access. From their residence hall rooms, students may access e-mail, library resources, course syllabi, on-line registration and other personal information. The network also provides a fast internet connection.

Housing contracts provide for the above services for the full academic year, unless otherwise indicated on the contract prior to issuance. Contracts may be paid, at the option of the student, at fee payment or on an installment plan.

Upon receipt of the application for housing, residence hall contracts are issued by the Director of Residence Life. The $50 processing fee must be submitted with the housing contract.

Summer School students should consult the Office of Residential and Greek Life for information concerning residence halls for summer school.

Each residence hall room is equipped with study desks, single beds, mattresses, curtains, chairs, chests of drawers, mirrors, closets and storage space. Each hall has its own laundry and recreational facilities. Students are expected to furnish a bedspread, bed linens, pillows, blanket, bathroom linens, phone, and study lamp. It is not deemed advisable to bring expensive equipment or furnishings. Students are expected to care for their own rooms. Small UL approved closed coil appliances are allowed in students' rooms but hot plates, microwaves, or large refrigerators are not permitted. Students may rent small refrigerators at the beginning of each semester or bring their own if they are not more than 3.6 cubic feet.

Opening dates

All residence halls will open for the academic year at 8 a.m. on the Friday prior to classes beginning. Accommodations for students 21 or older and students with families: University Heights Apartments, consisting of 36 efficiency and 70 one-bedroom units, are provided.

All apartments have central heating, central air-conditioning, garbage disposals, kitchen exhaust fans, electric apartment-size ranges and refrigerators. Units are rented unfurnished. Tenants are provided laundry facilities and parking facilities. All utilities except telephone and cable TV service are included in the rental rates. Rental rates are subject to change. A central post office is provided at the apartments. Applications and/or additional information may be obtained at the Office of Residential and Greek Life. Single students will be accommodated if they are over 21 and only if all apartments are not contracted apartments.

Off-campus Housing

The City of Kearney offers a variety of living accommodations. Rental costs vary accordingly.


Refunds for Room and Board are prorated on a weekly basis.

Claims for any refunds due students must be filed with the Finance Office by the close of the term. Claims for refund of residence hall breakage deposits should be signed by the student, the house-director and the Director of Residence Life. Claims for amounts due the University which are to be charged against the student's deposit will also be filed with the Finance Office, after which a check for money due the student will be issued and forwarded to the student.

20 Jun 2007