Students attending another college or university in which they attempted hours after high school graduation are considered transfer applicants. A complete application must be submitted before any decision will be made concerning the admissibility of the applicant, as well as the evaluation of transfer credit.


Students may not omit or disregard any part of a previous college record, whether part or full-time, with or without degree objectives, whether or not credit has been granted, or whether or not they desire to transfer credit. Failure to disclose a complete collegiate record may result in dismissal from UNK.

For admission to the University of Nebraska at Kearney, transfer students must:

  1. Be a graduate of a regionally accredited high school or have completed the equivalent academic training (GED).
  2. Prospective students should be eligible to return to the institution last attended. Those who have been suspended or dismissed from other colleges or universities for personal or academic reasons may not be considered for admission until they are eligible to return to their previous institution. The official record should contain evidence of honorable dismissal from the last school attended.
  3. Be in good standing at your previous institution(s) and have a 2.0 or above GPA. All course work below the level of "C" will be considered unsatisfactory and nontransferable.
  4. If you have completed 24 or more transferable semester hours from a regionally accredited collegiate institution following high school graduation, you are considered to have met the high school core course requirements that are required for admission. The Office of Records and Registration will determine the number of acceptable “transferable” credit hours from your previous college(s).
  5. If you have completed fewer than 24 semester hours of transferable coursework from a regionally accredited collegiate institution following high school graduation you must meet the high school core course requirements. These cover the areas of English (four years), math (three years), social studies (three years), foreign language (two years, same language), and an elective (one year).
  6. Transfer students from any of the other University of Nebraska campuses who desire to make a permanent change to UNK must complete an application for admission and a "change of campus" form to have their records transferred to UNK.
  7. All visiting students from any of the University of Nebraska campuses must submit a completed "Inter-Campus" application form. Students on suspension from another campus are not eligible to enroll.
  8. Transfer students are required to submit a completed Student Health Record (provided in a special mailing) which must include results of a recent physical exam and month and year dates of all child and adult vaccinations. See Health Services information for more specific instructions.
  9. For students entering UNK as Intercampus or Change of Campus students from another campus of the University of Nebraska, all holds for financial or disciplinary reasons must be cleared before the student will be admitted.
    • Each campus will honor the holds placed on students by the other campuses.
    • Students will need to work with the campus which placed the hold to get it resolved.
    • Staff from the respective campuses will work at keeping lines of communication open to help students resolve the issue.
    • The hold will be removed by the campus which placed the hold.
    This agreement applies only to holds regarding discipline and financial matters.

Admission Procedure

Transfer students shall submit the completed application for admission with the admissions application fee. In addition, the following procedures shall be completed:

When to Apply

Transfer students should submit their application no later than four weeks prior to the beginning of the term in which admission is requested. A Work in Progress Report may be requested to support the application when a student is currently enrolled at another institution.

7 May 2015