College of Natural and Social Sciences
Go directly to:
- To contribute to the student's development as a liberally-educated person, not only by a broad
exposure to political theory and practice, but also by encouragement of intellectual curiosity and critical thinking;
- To prepare students for graduate studies or professional studies in political science, public administration, international
affairs, or law;
- To prepare students for careers in politics and government, survey research, journalism, and some aspects of business such
as public relations, marketing and lobbying.
POLITICAL SCIENCE MAJOR
Three options are available in this major:
- Political Science - Bachelor of Arts Degree
or Political Science - Bachelor of Science Degree
- Public Administration - Bachelor of Science Degree
- Political Science 7-12 Teaching Subject Endorsement - Bachelor of Arts in Education Degree
The Political Science major may take the form of a General BA or BS degree in Political Science or one of two career-oriented
concentrations; majors are strongly encouraged to consider their career interests in choosing one of these options.
Minors in Political Science and Public Administration are
available for students pursuing majors in other disciplines, especially business, journalism, philosophy, economics, sociology,
social work, and criminal justice.
Political Science participates in the Social Science 7-12 Teaching Field Endorsement.
A Pre-Law emphasis is available for the Political Science Major (Option I above) and all pre-law
students, including those choosing not to major in Political Science, are invited to seek the assistance of the department's
Courses with the prefix PSCI are offered by the department.
12 May 2015