The educational requirements for admission to a physical therapy program vary from school to school. Many
programs require a BS degree; some will accept applicants after three years of undergraduate education. The following courses are
those required by the University of Nebraska Medical Center's Division of Physical Therapy Education for admission to their
program. These courses also meet the requirements for entry into the Creighton University Program in Physical Therapy. Students
pursuing a pre-physical therapy program are also expected to pursue a college major***.
Competition for places in professional schools of physical therapy is intense and admission is not guaranteed.
- Required Courses at UNMC and Creighton
- Take all of the following:
- BIOL 225, Anatomy and Physiology - 4 hours
- BIOL 226, Anatomy and Physiology - 4 hours
- CHEM 160GS, General Chemistry - 3 hours (Prereq: MATH 102GS or Math ACT score of 20 or better or permission of instructor)
- CHEM 160LGS, General Chemistry Laboratory - 1 hour
- CHEM 161GS, General Chemistry - 3 hours
- CHEM 161LGS, General Chemistry Laboratory - 1 hour
- PHYS 205GS, Physics I - 4 hours (Prereq or Coreq: MATH 102GS OR Math ACT of 20 or better)
- PHYS 205LGS, Physics I Laboratory - 1 hour
- PHYS 206GS, General Physics - 4 hours
- PHYS 206LGS, Physics Laboratory II - 1 hour
- Additional Requirements at Creighton
- Take all of the following:
- ENG 101, Introduction to Academic Writing - 3 hours
- ENG 102GS, Academic Writing and Research - 3 hours
- STAT 241GS, Elementary Statistics - 3 hours
- Take 2 of the following:
- Students applying to both UNMC and the University of Creighton who do
not hold a bachelor's degree, must identify their major emphasis of study and satisfactorily
complete 9 upper level (300/400) credit hours towards that emphasis prior to matriculation.
- Electives - take enough hours to reach a total of at least 90 credit hours
- Courses in sociology, anthropology, psychology, history, political science, literature, fine arts, speech, philosophy,
math, and statistics are appropriate. Additional upper level science courses would also be beneficial. Students are strongly
encouraged to consult with their advisor to ensure that electives are applicable towards a specific major in the discipline
of their choice. Creighton University strongly encourages psychology electives.
- Shadowing/Observation Requirements:
- Creighton University requires a minimum of 60 hours of observation supervised by a physical therapist. UNMC has no formal
requirement for volunteer, observation, or employment experiences in the field of physical therapy. However, broad exposure
to the field is to the applicant's personal benefit and is encouraged.
Students applying to Schools of Physical Therapy outside Nebraska should check with these schools to ensure
that other requirements are fulfilled.
Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores must be presented.
***Students pursuing a program of study in pre-physical therapy are expected to choose a
major so that they can be working towards a baccalaureate degree concurrently with the pre-physical therapy program. This requires
a major/minor combination or a comprehensive major as well as completion of the UNK general studies requirements and other degree
requirements as set forth in the college catalog. (Students who are accepted into physical therapy school prior to completing a
baccalaureate degree at UNK may be eligible to receive a BS degree in Health Science if they have
completed all General Studies requirements and have at least 90 semester hours completed in pre-PT
5 May 2010