A candidate for admission to the Physician Assistant Program at the University of Nebraska Medical Center
in Omaha, NE, must have successfully completed a Bachelor's Degree and the following required courses. The following courses will
also fulfill requirements at Union College in Lincoln, NE. Students should check with other schools to which they intend to apply
to ensure that all requirements are fulfilled.
The competition to gain acceptance to a physician assistant program is intense and admission is not
guaranteed. Admission to a PA program is based on scholastic record, GRE scores, personal recommendations, an interview with
members of the admissions committee, shadowing, exposure to health care, and other extra-curricular activities.
Due to the competitiveness, students pursuing a program of study in pre-physician assistant are expected to
choose a major so that they can be working towards a baccalaureate degree concurrently with the pre-physician assistant program.
This requires a major/minor combination or a comprehensive major as well as completion of the UNK
General Studies requirements and other degree requirements as set forth in the college catalog.
- Take ONE of the following options:
- Take 2 courses:
- BIOL 225, Anatomy and Physiology - 4 hours
- BIOL 226, Anatomy and Physiology - 4 hours
- OR take 2 courses:
- Take 1 course:
- MATH 102GS*, College Algebra - 3 hours
- *Students with sufficient preparation may enter the mathematics program at a higher level.
- Take 1 course from:
- Take 1 course from:
- Take all of the following:
- CHEM 160GS, General Chemistry - 3 hours
- CHEM 160LGS, General Chemistry Laboratory - 1 hour
- CHEM 161GS, General Chemistry - 3 hours
- CHEM 161LGS, General Chemistry Laboratory - 1 hour
- CHEM 250**, Elementary Organic Chemistry - 4 hours
- CHEM 250L, Elementary Organic Chemistry Laboratory - 1 hour
- CHEM 351, Biochemistry - 3 hours
- CHEM 351L, Biochemistry Laboratory - 1 hour
- ENG 101, Introduction to Academic Writing - 3 hours
- ENG 102GS, Academic Writing and Research - 3 hours
- PSY 203GS, General Psychology - 3 hours
- PSY 230GS, Human Development - 3 hours
- PSY 231GS, Abnormal Behavior - 3 hours
- Take one additional non-field biology course with a lab.
- **Union College requires CHEM 360 and
CHEM 361, Organic Chemistry, and CHEM 351,
Biochemistry. Consult with your advisor regarding the chemistry requirements.
- Additional electives should be chosen from the humanities and social sciences in areas such as psychology,
sociology, critical reasoning, literature and foreign language. Other electives, including upper division biology and
chemistry courses, are also recommended. BIOL 401, Principles of Immunology, is
highly recommended by the Physician Assistant program at UNMC. See your advisor for other suggestions.
- Students should be aware of prerequisites on all courses and plan their coursework accordingly.
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
- Scores from the GRE are required for admission to many physician assistant programs. See your advisor for more information.
Some physician assistant programs do not require a bachelor's degree for admissions. However, students who are accepted into
physician assistant school prior to completing a baccalaureate degree at UNK may be eligible to receive a
BS degree in Health Science if they have completed all
General Studies requirements and have at least 90 semester hours completed in pre-PA studies.
5 May 2010