College of Fine Arts and Humanities
Go directly to:
- George Lawson, Chair
- Professors: Jurma,
- Associate Professors: R. Brown,
- Assistant Professors: Dimock,
- Lecturers: Diffenderfer, L. Jacobson, Kamrath
Department Mission Statement:
The faculty of the Department of Communication at the University of Nebraska at
Kearney will offer communication courses of the highest quality to undergraduate majors,
non-majors and graduate students through formal classroom instruction, distance education,
laboratory experiences and internships.
The Communication faculty will strive to instill in students the necessity to:
- be independent thinkers who are able to develop ideas and clearly express them in oral
and written forms;
- be analytical creators and critical consumers of oral and mediated messages;
- have an understanding of the history, theory and current issues in their discipline;
- have an appreciation for the diversity of people;
- demonstrate team skills important to leaders and followers; and
- possess basic technological skills.
The faculty are uniquely qualified to provide instruction in the areas of advertising,
broadcasting, journalism, multimedia, organizational communication, public relations, speech communication,
sports communication and speech education.
Minimum Grade Point Average in the Major
Students selecting a major in the Department of Communication must earn a minimum 2.5 G.P.A. in the major.
Students selecting a major in Journalism and Mass Communication must compile evidence of
achievement particular to their chosen career field. Students will present this portfolio
and discuss its contents with a Faculty Portfolio Committee in the semester prior to their
Journalism and Mass Communication majors are expected to take JMC 100GS Mass Media in
America as a General Studies course. It is recommended that students consult with a
departmental advisor about this issue.
JOURNALISM AND MASS COMMUNICATION MAJOR
Two options are available in this major:
- Broadcasting Option - Bachelor of Arts Degree
or Broadcasting Option - Bachelor of Science Degree
- Journalism Option - Bachelor of Arts Degree
- or Journalism Option - Bachelor of Science Degree
- Multimedia - Bachelor of Arts Degree
or Multimedia - Bachelor of Science Degree
Three options are available in this major:
- Organizational Communication Comprehensive Option -
Bachelor of Science Degree
- Speech Communication Option - Bachelor of Arts Degree
or Speech Communication Option - Bachelor of Science
- Speech Communication 7-12 Teaching Subject Endorsement
Option - Bachelor of Arts in Education Degree
Minors in Advertising, Broadcasting,
Journalism, Multimedia, Public Relations,
Speech Communication, and Sports Communication
are available. The Elementary Education Major
has a specially defined minor in Speech/Theatre.
Courses with the prefix JMC and SPCH are
offered by the department.