DEGREE ADMISSION STATUS
When admitted as a degree student, the applicant will be placed in one of the following categories:
- Unconditional (Full) admission. This status will be granted to the applicant who satisfies all the
- Official transcripts of all college work have been received by the Office of Graduate Studies and Research, verifying a
baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university and a cumulative grade point average between 2.75
- Official results of a satisfactorily completed entrance exam (if required) specific to the discipline (i.e. GMAT, GRE or
other admission mechanism) have been submitted to the Office of Graduate Studies and Research.**
- All other departmental requirements for unconditional admission to a degree program have been met. This might include but
is not limited to, academic deficiencies, an interview, departmental exam, a portfolio, grade point average, letters of recommendation, essay, or writing sample.
- Conditional admission. This status will be granted to an applicant who has submitted all necessary
materials, but who does not meet all requirements for unconditional admission.
The conditions of admission will be specified by the department and the Office of Graduate Studies and Research at the time of
the admission notification. Conditional admission will continue until changed by the recommendation of the department and
Graduate Dean. Conditional admission is automatically changed to unconditional admission upon approval of the Application for
Candidacy for the degree by the Graduate Dean.
- Graduates of non-accredited institutions will be assigned conditional status, and this status may also be used by
departments to classify students based on departmental requirements for admission.
- Applicants who do not meet minimal grade point standards may be admitted on the basis of satisfactory supplemental
admission materials, as defined by specific graduate programs. Academic performance during the first semester, or as outlined
by the condition stated by the department, will be assessed and will determine continuance in the program.
When an applicant is accepted conditionally or unconditionally, an advisor will be assigned by the department. The advisor will
assist the student in attaining the student's graduate objectives.
**For additional departmental admission requirements, students should refer to the appropriate departmental listing in the
Graduate Catalog or consult with the department.
27 Jun 2016