Modern Languages Program Information and Admission Requirements
Go directly to:
Master of Arts in Education Degree
Admission to a Master's Degree program in Modern Languages will require the following*:
- A completed graduate application form (and fee);
- Completion of the bachelor’s degree in Spanish, Spanish Education or other major with at least 21 hours of upper-level
(300/400) Spanish coursework, with a minimum overall G.P.A. of 3.00;
- Minimum OPIc rating of Advanced-Low. (Contact Modern Languages for test administration);
- Submission of two letters of recommendation from professionals with knowledge of the candidate's aptitude;
- Statement of purpose in English. The statement must address the following areas:
Academic Writing Sample in Spanish (minimum of 4 pages):
- The candidate’s qualifications for graduate study in Spanish Education.
- The candidate’s long-term professional goals.
- The candidate’s expectations of the MAE in Spanish degree at UNK in terms of his/her professional development.
- The sample may be a paper from an upper-level undergraduate course, but it should showcase the candidate’s
analytical reasoning and argumentative writing. It should not be a summary of existing research or reporting on a given
- If the candidate does not have an existing writing sample, he/she may provide an original critical analysis of
an approved text.
*Candidates who do not meet all of the above requirements may be admitted on a conditional basis.
Completion of this program requires passing written and oral comprehensive examinations in Spanish and English.
27 Aug 2015