Business Administration Program Information and Admission Requirements
Go directly to:
Master of Business Administration Degree
The College of Business and Technology at the University of Nebraska at Kearney (UNK) offers an AACSB International
(The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) accredited, 33 hour, Master of Business Administration degree. UNKís MBA is a
professional graduate program designed to provide a challenging and experiential, educational experience for graduate students who desire
to assume positions of increasing scope and responsibility in business, nonprofit, or public service sectors. Required courses are offered
primarily in the evening or online to accommodate students who work during traditional business hours.
The students in the MBA Program will develop skills to solve problems in Governmental Organizations (GOs), Non-governmental not-for-profit
Organizations (NGOs), and businesses through integration of all organizational functions. The core emphasis of the program is on honing the
studentís critical thinking, problem solving, and decision making skills within the context of both the US and the global economies, while
preparing the student to meet the inherent challenges in the rapidly changing business environment. The program is also suited to those with
baccalaureate degrees in areas other than business.
Applications may choose to be considered for admission through any one of the following five options:
Unconditional Admission: An application may be considered for full unconditional admission if one of the four
following sets of requirements are met:
- A baccalaureate degree from an AACSB (The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) accredited program with a 3.75 GPA or
higher on a standardized 4.0 scale (GMAT/GRE is waived)
- A baccalaureate degree with less than 2 years of full time post-baccalaureate work experience with
- Undergraduate GPA: 2.75 overall on a standardized 4.0 scale
- GMAT: Minimum 480 or equivalent GRE
- Meet a minimum score of 1100 on the following formula:
(200*Undergraduate GPA) + GMAT
(If applicant taking the GRE, the equivalent GMAT score will be used)
- A baccalaureate degree and at least 3 years of post-baccalaureate full time work experience with meaningful managerial responsibilities with an
undergraduate GPA: 2.75 overall on a standardized 4.0 scale
- Completed another U.S. equivalent Master, Ph.D., or a terminal degree
Conditional Admission: An applicant who does not meet any of the 4 sets of requirements above may apply for conditional
admission if the following requirements are met:
- Two or more years of post-baccalaureate full time work experience with an Undergraduate GPA: 2.75 overall on a standardized 4.0 scale.
- NOTE: Students admitted conditionally must complete 9 hours of MBA graduate level courses at UNK, with at least 3 hours
in a quantitative course, and maintain a 3.0 Graduate GPA or higher. Upon successful completion of these 9 hours the student is then considered
Applicants interested in the MBA program must have a foundation of business. Applicants who do not hold a U.S. equivalent baccalaureate degree in
business should apply as a Pre-MBA student and complete the Foundational Core courses with a minimum grade of ďCĒ in each course. This option is not
available for international applicants not residing in the U.S.A.
An application must be complete in all respects to be considered for admission to the program. Meeting the minimum criteria only assures applicants
the consideration of their application for admission to the MBA program.
- International students:
In addition to the admission requirements stated in the International Students section of
this catalog, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Those with a baccalaureate degree from a country where English is not the native language must take the TOEFL and receive
a minimum score of 550 on the paper TOEFL exam or a score of 79 on the IBT (Internet based TOEFL), or a minimum score of 6.5 on IELTS.
- Applicants whose baccalaureate degrees were earned outside the United States are required to have their transcripts evaluated by a
credential evaluation firm to verify the degree is equivalent to a U.S. baccalaureate. Refer to the international graduate application
form for additional information.
- Students with only a baccalaureate degree from countries that award three-year baccalaureate degrees may not be eligible to be
admitted to the Masterís program. To be eligible for option 4 of unconditional admission into the MBA program, international
students must hold a Masterís degree equivalent to a U.S. Masterís degree.
To apply to the MBA Program:
- Go to
- Fill out the application.
- Submit a resume.
- Provide a 500-word personal essay, particularly addressing the following:
- Professional and personal accomplishments
- Personal strengths that helped accomplishment of the above
- Personal values, including what is important in a career
- Motivations to pursue a MBA at UNK
- Anticipated contributions to enhancing the educational experiences of other students in the program
- Post-MBA goals
- Ask two references (college professors, supervisors etc.) to complete their recommendation online. (Those applying for
admission to the MBA program through options 2 and 3 must have at least one recommendation letter from their supervisor who has
evaluated the applicant's performance within the past 2 years.) Candidates with significant professional experience may get an
additional recommendation from a subordinate.
For information regarding the requirements for admission to the MBA Program, please
- MBA Office
- West Center 135C
- University of Nebraska at Kearney
- Kearney, NE 68849-4580
- Telephone: (308) 865-8346
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
MBA Program Policies
In addition to the academic policies listed in the front of this catalog that govern all
graduate students, the following policies are specific to the MBA program:
- Students may need to complete up to 18 hours of MBA Foundational Core courses with a minimum grade of
"C" in each.
- Students must be fully admitted to the program to take more than 9 hours of required "MBA core" courses or graduate level
- Students shall maintain an average grade of at least "B" (3.0) in all graduate courses completed at the end of each
semester or summer session. No more than two Cs, and no grades below C, will be accepted in the MBA graduate program. Students
who receive a third "C" or below a "C" (C- or lower) will have to retake one of the courses to improve to a C+ or better.
- All academic policies of the Graduate School stated in this catalog and the MBA Student Policy
Handbook will apply.