Clinical Mental Health Counseling
Master of Science in Education Degree
This program is offered on campus only.
Accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) and CACREP's international
affiliate, the International Registry of Counselor Education Programs (IRCEP).
The following program meets the academic requirements for the Mental Health Practitioner License (LMHP) regulated by the State of
Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS).
See Clinical Mental Health Counseling Program Objectives for more information specifically
related to this program.
Prerequisite Competency: Abnormal Psychology (appropriate coursework or documented experience)
MSEd in Clinical Mental Health Counseling = 60 hours
- Required courses (57 hours required)
- Take all of the following:
- CSP 802, Research Methods in Psychology and Education - 3 hours
- CSP 805, Child and Adolescent Development and Interventions - 3 hours
- CSP 807P*, Clinical Treatment Issues in Addictions Counseling - 3 hours
- CSP 810*, Legal and Ethical Issues in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - 1 hour
- CSP 830**, Professional Issues in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - 2 hours
- CSP 840*, Adult Development - 3 hours
- CSP 850P, Introduction to Counseling and Social Advocacy - 3 hours
- CSP 855, Techniques of Counseling - 3 hours
- CSP 856, Multicultural Counseling - 3 hours
- CSP 859, Diagnosis and Treatment of Mental and Emotional Disorders - 3 hours (Prereq: CSP 804P or course in Abnormal Psychology)
- CSP 860, Theories of Counseling - 3 hours
- CSP 862, Administration and Consultation in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - 3 hours
- CSP 865, Group Counseling - 3 hours
- CSP 870, Marriage and Family Counseling - 3 hours
- CSP 875*, Career and Lifestyle Development - 3 hours
- CSP 880*, Appraisal and Evaluation of Individuals and Systems - 3 hours
- CSP 885, Practicum in Counseling and Guidance - 3 hours
- CSP 886, Advanced Practicum in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - 3 hours
- CSP 892*, Internship in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - 6 hours
- * On-line or web based courses
- ** Blended courses, web based and on campus
- Electives (3 hours required)
- Appropriate electives will be selected in consultation with the advisor.
See Counseling & School Psychology Program Information and Admission Requirements for more
information about the program.
2 Jul 2013