Offered by Department of Communication
College of Fine Arts and Humanities
- SPCH 800 - Philosophy of Communication - 3 hours
- Prereq: SPCH 890P or SPCH 899P or permission
A consideration and analysis of the nature of speech as an activity of daily life. An in-depth investigation of the traditional
speech disciplines from historical, critical, and theoretical perspectives.
- SPCH 801P - Special Topics in Speech Communications - 1-3 hours
- Course work on a specific topic of communication designed by the instructor. Topics vary per offering.
- SPCH 802 - Introduction to Graduate Study in Speech - 3 hours
- Introduction to the graduate program and principles and standards of research in communication. Critical consideration of the
literature of the discipline, and an introduction to major research methods: empirical, creative, analytical, and historical.
- SPCH 805 - Administration and Direction of Forensic Programs - 3 hours
- Organization and administration of forensic programs in high schools and colleges, management of inter-school contests and
tournaments, coaching of debate, discussion and individual events, and principles of judging.
- SPCH 830 - The Teaching of Speech/Theatre - 3 hours
- Consideration of problems and techniques in the teaching of speech and theatre on the high school and college level. Construction
of courses of study, evaluation of textbooks, and analysis of developments in various areas of speech/theatre.
- SPCH 845P - Diffusion of Innovations - 3 hours
- Diffusion of Innovations examines the adoption of innovations by individuals in a social system from the perspective of a
communication based model. Examples of innovations include fashion trends, campaign slogans, communication technologies, hygiene
practices, birth control, farming practices, hybrid powered automobiles, types of government rule (democracy) and genetically
engineered foods. The diffusion phenomenon is examined emphasizing social and individual points of view. Class sessions are
mostly based on lecture, with some discussion. Assessment tools include exams, case studies, and a final semester project. The
final project will be presented to the class.
- SPCH 850P - General Semantics - 3 hours
- A study of the relationships of symbol systems of the development of personalities, organizations, and societies.
- SPCH 851P - Leadership Communication - 3 hours
- A study of the characteristics, styles, roles, and motivation of successful leaders. Includes study and practice in parliamentary
- SPCH 852P - Theories of Organizational Communication - 3 hours
- A study of major theories of communication within the organization: scientific, humanistic, systems decision making and
- SPCH 853P - Interviewing - 3 hours
- Theories and techniques of interviewing, including information gathering, employment, appraisal, and persuasive interviewing.
- SPCH 854P - Intercultural Communication - 3 hours
- Study of communication across cultures.
- SPCH 855P - Communication Training and Consulting - 3 hours
- A study of how to plan, conduct, and evaluate communication training and development programs within the organization.
- SPCH 856P - Rhetorical Theory - 3 hours
- A study of theories of persuasion in Greek, Roman, continental, and modern periods. Special emphasis on the works of Aristotle,
Campbell, and Burke.
- SPCH 857P - Contemporary Rhetorical Theory - 3 hours
- A study of modern rhetorical theories of intervention, human knowing, ethics of communication, and media effects.
- SPCH 860 - Directed Studies - 1-4 hours
- Independent research or special assignment in the student's major field.
- SPCH 875P - Internship - 1-6 hours
- SPCH 882 - Rhetorical Criticism - 3 hours
- Prereq: SPCH 856P or permission
An examination and study of the principles of rhetorical criticism from Aristotle to contemporary critics. Application of critical
principles in analysis of speakers, speeches and social movements.
- SPCH 890P - Theories of Interpersonal Communication - 3 hours
- A survey of major theories and research in interpersonal communication.
- SPCH 892 - Seminar in Speech - 3 hours
- Concentrated study of selected topics in speech communication. (May be repeated for a total of 6 hours.)
- SPCH 896 - Thesis - 3-6 hours
- SPCH 899P - Communication Theory - 3 hours
- A study of social and scientific theories of interpersonal, group, organizational, and mass communication.
19 Mar 2012