The statutes of Nebraska provide that all state educational institutions shall charge nonresident tuition for each nonresident of Nebraska who matriculates at any state institution. Nonresident status is determined in accordance with these statutes and current institutional policies, and is based upon evidence provided in the application for admission and related documents. Additional written documents, affidavits, verification or other evidence may be required as deemed necessary to establish the status of any applicant. The burden of establishing exemption from nonresident tuition is the responsibility of the student. Erroneous classification as a resident or willful evasion of nonresident tuition may result in disciplinary action as well as payment of required tuition for each semester attended.

Change of Residency Status

Individuals seeking to establish resident status for tuition purposes will be required to have established a home in Nebraska for at least 12 months. However, any individual who has moved to Nebraska primarily to enroll in a post-secondary institution in Nebraska will be considered a nonresident for tuition purposes for the duration of his/her attendance. Enrolling more than halftime for any term at a university, college or community college in Nebraska during the 12 months immediately preceding the term or semester for which residence status is sought, will be considered as strong evidence that an individual moved to Nebraska primarily to enroll in a post-secondary institution in Nebraska. Students who have been classified as a nonresident and feel they qualify for resident status should review the "Application for Residence Classification for Tuition Purposes," which is available in the Office of Graduate Studies and Research. Any sanctioned change of classification from nonresident to resident will not be made retroactive beyond the period in which the change is approved.

23 Feb 2011