The College of Dentistry of the University of Nebraska Medical Center requires a minimum of 90 semester
hours for admission. The majority of students entering dental school have a BS degree. Therefore, students pursuing a pre-dental
curriculum are expected to choose a major so that they can be working towards a baccalaureate degree concurrently with the
pre-dental program. This requires a major/minor combination or a comprehensive major as well as completion of the UNK
General Studies requirements and other degree requirements as set forth in the college catalog.
Dental schools do not specify which major a student should pursue in conjunction with his/her pre-dental studies. Chemistry and
biology majors are commonly chosen but other science majors, psychobiology, psychology, business or the humanities are acceptable
as long as the core science courses in chemistry, biology and physics are included.
Competition for positions in dental schools is intense and admission is never guaranteed. Admission to
dental school is based on a review of the scholastic record, DAT scores, personal recommendations, an interview with members of the
admissions committee, shadowing and other extra-curricular activities.
The following requirements are based on the admission requirements of the College of Dentistry at the
University of Nebraska Medical Center. Students wanting to apply to other dental schools should check with those specific schools
for additional requirements.
- Take 8 hours from:
- BIOL 103GS, General Biology - 4 hours
- BIOL 105GS, Biology I - 4 hours
- BIOL 106GS, Biology II - 4 hours
- BIOL 211GS, Human Microbiology - 4 hours
- (Students should not take BIOL 211GS if they are planning to take
- Restriction: No more than ONE from the
- Take 1 course:
- OR take 2 courses:
- BIOL 225, Anatomy and Physiology - 4 hours
- BIOL 226, Anatomy and Physiology - 4 hours
- Take all of the following:
- CHEM 160GS, General Chemistry - 3 hours
- CHEM 160LGS, General Chemistry Laboratory - 1 hour
- CHEM 161GS, General Chemistry - 3 hours
- CHEM 161LGS, General Chemistry Laboratory - 1 hour
- CHEM 360, Organic Chemistry - 4 hours
- CHEM 360L, Organic Chemistry Laboratory - 1 hour
- CHEM 361, Organic Chemistry - 4 hours
- CHEM 361L, Organic Chemistry Laboratory - 1 hour
- ENG 101, Introduction to Academic Writing - 3 hours
- ENG 102GS, Academic Writing and Research - 3 hours
- MATH 102GS*, College Algebra - 3 hours
- *Students with sufficient preparation may enter the mathematics program at a higher level.
- PHYS 205GS, General Physics I - 4 hours
- PHYS 205LGS, Physics I Laboratory - 1 hour
- PHYS 206GS, General Physics II - 4 hours
- PHYS 206LGS, Physics Laboratory II - 1 hour
- Elective courses should be chosen from biology, chemistry, mathematics, the social sciences, the fine arts
and humanities, and business administration, business law, and economics. See advisor for suggestions.
(except courses numbered 188 or 388)
- Students should be aware of prerequisites on all courses and plan their coursework
- DAT College Admissions Test (DAT)
- The DAT is required for admission and should be taken once all required courses have been completed. See
advisor for more information.
Students who are accepted into dental school prior to completing a baccalaureate degree at UNK may be eligible to receive a
BS degree in Health Science if they have completed all General Studies
requirements and have at least 90 semester hours completed in pre-dent studies.
9 Oct 2012