Pre-Chiropractic, Pre-Osteopathy, Pre-Podiatry
A minimum of 90 semester hours is required for admission to most colleges of chiropractic, osteopathic
medicine, or podiatry. However, students pursuing these programs are expected to choose a major so that they can be working towards
a baccalaureate degree concurrently with the pre-professional program. This requires a major/minor combination or a comprehensive
major as well as completion of the UNK general studies requirements and other degree requirements as set forth in the college
catalog. These programs do not specify which major a student should pursue in conjunction with his/her pre-professional studies.
Chemistry and biology majors are commonly chosen but other science majors, psychobiology, psychology, business or the humanities
are acceptable as long as the core science courses in chemistry, biology and physics are included.
Competition for positions in these schools is intense and admission is never guaranteed. Admission is based
on scholastic record, MCAT scores (if required), personal recommendations, an interview with members of the admissions committee,
shadowing, health care exposure and other extra-curricular activities.
The following curriculum will fulfill the admissions requirements at most chiropractic, osteopathic and
podiatry schools. Students should check with the specific school(s) to which they intend to apply to ensure that all requirements
- Take ONE of the following options:
- Take 2 courses:
- OR take 2 courses:
- BIOL 225, Anatomy and Physiology - 4 hours
- BIOL 226, Anatomy and Physiology - 4 hours
- Take all of the following:
- CHEM 160GS, General Chemistry - 3 hours
- CHEM 160LGS, General Chemistry Laboratory - 1 hour
- CHEM 161GS, General Chemistry - 3 hours
- CHEM 161LGS, General Chemistry Laboratory - 1 hour
- CHEM 360, Organic Chemistry - 4 hours
- CHEM 360L, Organic Chemistry Laboratory - 1 hour
- CHEM 361, Organic Chemistry - 4 hours
- CHEM 361L, Organic Chemistry Laboratory - 1 hour
- ENG 101, Introduction to Academic Writing - 3 hours
- ENG 102GS, Academic Writing and Research - 3 hours
- MATH 102GS*, College Algebra - 3 hours
- *Students with sufficient preparation may enter the mathematics program at a higher level.
- PHYS 205GS, General Physics I - 4 hours
- PHYS 205LGS, Physics I Laboratory - 1 hour
- PHYS 206GS, General Physics II - 4 hours
- PHYS 206LGS, Physics Laboratory II - 1 hour
- PSY 203GS, General Psychology - 3 hours
- SOC 100GS, Introduction to Sociology - 3 hours
- Electives in the humanities and social sciences are required and may include English literature courses,
foreign language, psychology, philosophy, political science, economics, sociology and fine arts courses. Other electives,
including upper division biology and chemistry courses, are also recommended. See advisor for suggestions.
(except courses numbered 188 or 388)
- Students should be aware of prerequisites on all courses and plan their coursework
- Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT)
- The MCAT is required for admission to osteopathic and podiatry schools and should be taken once all
required courses have been completed. See advisor for more information.
Students who are accepted into chiropractic, osteopathy or podiatry school prior to completing a baccalaureate degree at UNK may
be eligible to receive a BS degree in Health Science if they have completed all
General Studies requirements and have at least 90 semester hours completed in pre-chiro, pre-osteo or
9 Oct 2012