University of Nebraska at Kearney
College of Fine Arts and Humanities
1994-96 UNK Undergraduate Catalog
Department of English
- Charles Peek, Chair
- Professors: Anderson, M. Benzel, Godfrey, Jussel, V. Plambeck, Welch
- Associate Professors: K. Benzel, George, Peck, Peek, R. Umland, S. Umland
- Assistant Professors: Clougherty, Emrys, Fleche, Grandone, Horner, Sinclair, Sullivan
- Department Lecturers: Bosshardt, Bregman, Canfield, Cutler, Flood, Francis, Hansen, Johnson, King, Kingsley, Klone, Kosmicki, Kruse, Maddux, Malloy, Martin, McNew, Miles, Nowak, M. Plambeck, Sanks, Wood
- Go to Major or
- list of course descriptions.
To provide a broad cultural background for the understanding and appreciation of the character and ideals of human beings and society through courses in literature, composition, and English language;
To improve communication skills through practice in diverse types of expository and imaginative writing;
To develop critical thinking through exposure to and interpretation of the various world views offered in literary works;
To increase appreciation for literature, its backgrounds, history, and values, through analysis and discussion of literary works covering a wide range of attitudes, perspectives, and expressions;
To prepare future teachers of Language Arts and English for elementary, middle, secondary, and college teaching.
(Upon request, the Department provides prospective students with a more detailed list of objectives.)
- Two major options are available:
- I. English Option-Bachelor of Arts Degree
- II. English Teaching Subject Endorsement Option-Bachelor of Arts in Education Degree
The minor in English is available for students pursuing majors in other disciplines. The Elementary Education major has a specially defined minor in English.