Family Studies and Interior Design Major
Bachelor of Science
All College of Business and Technology Graduation
Requirements must be fulfilled.
- General Studies Program Hours = 45
including General Studies coursework required by major
- Foundational Core (Written, Math, Oral, Democracy) = 12
- Portal = 3
- Distribution = 27
- Aesthetics minimum = 3
- Humanities minimum = 6
- Social Sciences minimum = 9 including:
- Natural Sciences minimum = 7
- Analytical and Quantitative Thought minimum = 0
- Wellness minimum = 0
- Capstone = 3
- BS Science-related course requirements = 0
- Major Option = 36
- Minor or 2nd Major = 24
- For specific requirements see
#3 of Bachelor of Science Degree requirements. Selecting a minor or second major less than or
greater than 24 hours will alter the number of unrestricted electives.
- Minimum total hours required coursework = 105
- Unrestricted electives in 120 hour program = 15
- Minimum total hours required for BS in Family Studies = 120
- All UNK degrees require a minimum of 120 hours. Forty (40) of the hours required for all UNK degrees
must be upper division hours, which are courses numbered 300 or above taken at a 4-year college or university.
All students completing this major will be required to earn a "C" or better grade in all
FSID courses in the major.
- Family Studies Requirements (36 hours required)
- Take all of the following:
- FSID 150, Lifespan Development and the Family - 3 hours
- FSID 250, Infant Development - 3 hours
- FSID 253, Child & Adolescent Development - 3 hours
- FSID 302, Parent Education - 3 hours
- FSID 340, Family Life Education - 3 hours
- FSID 362, Families and Social Policy - 3 hours
- FSID 402, Research and Analysis in Family Studies - 3 hours
- FSID 404, Family Studies Ethical and Professional Practice - 3 hours
- FSID 406, Family Resource Management - 3 hours
- FSID 450, The Aging Adult - 3 hours
- FSID 475, Internship - 3 hours
- FSID 481, Cross-Cultural Family Patterns - 3 hours
- Additional Recommended Elective:
- The Family Studies Program is certified by the National Council on Family Relations (NCFR).
- CFLE certification: Upon graduation, students are eligible for provisional certification as a Certified
Family Life Educator (CFLE) from the National Council on Family Relations and following documentation of two years of work
experience can apply for full certification.
27 May 2016