The educational requirements for admission to a physical therapy program vary from
school to school. Many programs require a BS degree; some will accept applicants after
three years of undergraduate education. The following courses are those required by the
University of Nebraska Medical Center's Division of Physical Therapy Education for
admission to their program. These courses also meet the requirements for entry into the
Creighton University Program in Physical Therapy. Students pursuing a pre-physical therapy program are
also expected to pursue a college
Competition for places in professional schools of physical therapy is intense
and admission is not guaranteed.
- Required Courses at UNMC and Creighton
- Take all of the following:
- BIOL 225, Anatomy and Physiology - 4 hours
- BIOL 226, Anatomy and Physiology - 4 hours
- CHEM 160GS, General Chemistry - 3 hours
(Prereq: MATH 102 or Math ACT score of 20 or better or permission of instructor)
- CHEM 160LGS, General Chemistry Laboratory - 1 hour
- CHEM 161GS, General Chemistry - 3 hours
- CHEM 161LGS, General Chemistry Laboratory - 1 hour
- PHYS 205GS, General Physics - 5 hours (Prereq: MATH 103 or permission of instructor)
- PHYS 206GS, General Physics - 5 hours
- Additional Requirements at Creighton
- Take all of the following:
- Take 2 of the following:
- Students applying to both UNMC and the University of Creighton who do
not hold a bachelor's degree, must identify their major emphasis of study and satisfactorily
complete 9 upper level (300/400) credit hours towards that emphasis prior to matriculation.
- Electives - take enough hours to reach a total of at least 90 credit hours
- Courses in sociology, anthropology, psychology, history, political science, literature, fine arts,
speech, philosophy, math, and statistics are appropriate. Additional upper level science courses would
also be beneficial. Students are strongly encouraged to consult with their advisor to ensure that electives
are applicable towards a specific major in the discipline of their choice. Creighton University strongly
encourages psychology electives.
- Shadowing/Observation Requirements:
- Creighton University requires a minimum of 60 hours of observation supervised by a physical therapist.
UNMC has no formal requirement for volunteer, observation, or employment experiences in the field of physical
therapy. However, broad exposure to the field is to the applicant's personal benefit and is encouraged.
Students applying to Schools of Physical Therapy outside Nebraska should check
with these schools to ensure that other requirements are fulfilled.
Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores must be presented.
***Students pursuing a program of study in pre-physical therapy are
expected to choose a major so that they can be working towards a baccalaureate degree
concurrently with the pre-physical therapy program. This requires a major/minor
combination or a comprehensive major as well as completion of the UNK general studies
requirements and other degree requirements as set forth in the college catalog. (Students
who are accepted into physical therapy school prior to completing a baccalaureate degree
at UNK may be eligible to receive a BS degree in Health Science
if they have completed all General Studies requirements and
have at least 90 semester hours completed in pre-PT studies.)
16 Apr 2009