The College of Medicine of the University of Nebraska Medical Center requires a minimum
of 90 semester hours for admission. However, students pursuing a pre-medical curriculum are expected
to choose a major so that they can be working towards a baccalaureate degree concurrently with the
pre-medical program. This requires a major/minor combination or a comprehensive major as well as
completion of the UNK general studies requirements and other degree requirements as set forth in the
college catalog. Medical schools do not specify which major a student should pursue in conjunction
with his/her pre-medical studies. Chemistry and biology majors are commonly chosen but other
science majors, psychobiology, psychology, business or the humanities are acceptable as
long as the core science courses in chemistry, biology and physics are included.
Competition for positions in medical schools is intense and admission is never guaranteed.
Admission to medical school is based on scholastic record, MCAT scores, personal
recommendations, interview with members of the admissions committee, shadowing, and other
The following requirements are based on the admission requirements of the College of
Medicine at the University of Nebraska Medical Center. Students wanting to apply to other
medical schools should check with those specific schools for additional requirements.
- Take 8 hours of biology from:
- BIOL 103GS, General Biology - 4 hours
- BIOL 105GS, Biology I - 4 hours
- BIOL 106GS, Biology II - 4 hours
- BIOL 211GS, Human Microbiology - 4 hours
(Students should not take BIOL 211GS if they are planning to take
- Restriction: No more than
ONE from the following options:
- Take 1 course:
- OR take 2 courses:
- BIOL 225, Anatomy and Physiology - 4 hours
- BIOL 226, Anatomy and Physiology - 4 hours
- Take all of the following:
- BIOL 360, Genetics - 4 hours
(Prereq: BIOL 309)
- CHEM 160GS, General Chemistry - 3 hours
(Prereq: MATH 102 or Math ACT score of 20 or better or permission of instructor)
- CHEM 160LGS, General Chemistry Laboratory - 1 hour
- CHEM 161GS, General Chemistry - 3 hours
- CHEM 161LGS, General Chemistry Laboratory - 1 hour
- CHEM 351, Biochemistry - 3 hours
- CHEM 351L, Biochemistry Laboratory - 1 hour
- CHEM 360, Organic Chemistry - 4 hours
- CHEM 360L, Organic Chemistry Laboratory - 1 hour
- CHEM 361, Organic Chemistry - 4 hours
- CHEM 361L, Organic Chemistry Laboratory - 1 hour
- ENG 101GS, Expository Writing I - 3 hours
- ENG 102GS, Expository Writing II - 3 hours
- PHYS 205GS, General Physics - 5 hours (Prereq: MATH 103 or permission of instructor)
- PHYS 206GS, General Physics - 5 hours
- Take 1 course from:
- Humanities and Social Sciences - 12-16 hours are required
- Recommended courses in the humanities and social sciences include English literature courses,
foreign language, psychology, philosophy, political science, economics, sociology and fine arts courses.
- Other electives, including upper division biology and chemistry courses, are recommended.
See your advisor for suggestions.
- Students should be aware of prerequisites on all courses and plan their coursework
- Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT)
The MCAT is required for admission and should be taken once all required courses have been
completed. See your advisor for more information.
16 Apr 2009