(3-6 hours of Expository Writing and 3 hours of speech coursework required.
Students who have used AP credit or otherwise have not been required to take ENG
101 must take ENG 102 and may not exercise the foreign language option instead. See II. below.)
In addition to those objectives required of all General Studies courses, students will:
- demonstrate the ability to form and support a coherent position on an issue,
- demonstrate the ability to write and speak in a formal manner appropriate to the
- demonstrate the ability to read, speak, and write "expressive" as well as
"transactional" language i.e., to develop and understand the role of voice in
communication as well as the message itself.
- Take both of the following:
- ENG 101GS, Expository Writing I - 3 hours (Prereq: ENG 100A or English ACT score of 15 or above)
- SPCH 100GS, Fundamentals of Speech Communication - 3 hours
- Take ONE of the following options*:
- Take 1 course:
- ENG 102GS, Expository Writing II - 3 hours (Prereq: ENG 101GS or English ACT score of 30 or above)
- OR take 1 course:
- *The substitution of the ENG 102 requirement is only available for students who received a grade of B or better in English 101. Native speakers of the foreign language who qualify for this option must be assessed by the Modern Languages department for placement into an appropriate course prior to enrollment.