Students attending another college or university in which they attempted hours after high school graduation are considered transfer applicants. A complete application must be submitted before any decision will be made concerning the admissibility of the applicant, as well as the evaluation of transfer credit.


Students may not omit or disregard any part of a previous college record, whether part or full-time, with or without degree objectives, whether or not credit has been granted, or whether or not they desire to transfer credit. Failure to disclose a complete collegiate record may result in dismissal from UNK.

  1. Transfer students are expected to satisfactorily complete the core course requirements, either in high school or in their previous post-secondary studies. Students will be required to take UNK courses in the areas of their deficiencies.
  2. Prospective students should be eligible to return to the institution last attended. Those who have been suspended or dismissed from other colleges or universities for personal or academic reasons may not be considered for admission until they are eligible to return to their previous institution. The official record should contain evidence of honorable dismissal from the last school attended.
  3. Applicants are expected to have a cumulative grade point average of "C" (2.0) earned at accredited institutions to be eligible for admission. Transfer students admitted on probation will have one semester to meet UNK academic standards. All course work below the level of "C" will be considered unsatisfactory and nontransferable.
  4. Transfer students from any of the other University of Nebraska campuses who desire to make a permanent change to UNK must complete an application for admission and a "change of campus" form to have their records transferred to UNK.
  5. All visiting students from any of the University of Nebraska campuses must submit a completed "Inter-Campus" application form. Students on suspension from another campus are not eligible to enroll.
  6. Transfer students are required to submit a completed Student Health Record (provided in a special mailing) which must include results of a recent physical exam and month and year dates of all child and adult vaccinations. See Health Services information for more specific instructions.

Admission Status

Full Standing - Indicates all application materials have been received, cumulative grade point requirement (C or 2.0) was met, and applicant left previous accredited institution in good standing.

Admitted by Review - This status may indicate that applicant's academic background does not meet admission standards. Transfer students with less than a 2.0 may be admitted on probation to UNK. Students admitted on probation may be required to participate in designated support activities provided by selected faculty and staff.

Provisional - Indicates part of application requirements are missing. Generally, provisional acceptance is reserved for students who are currently attending another institution and transcripts are partial or show work in progress. Provisionally admitted students must meet necessary requirements prior to registration for any succeeding semester.

Admission Procedure

etranscriptTransfer students shall submit the completed application for admission with the admissions application fee. In addition, the following procedures shall be completed: College Transcripts - One official transcript from each college attended must be submitted even though no credit may have been earned at an institution. Work summarized from several colleges on one transcript is not acceptable. High School Transcript - This record is required from all transfer students. The University of Nebraska at Kearney accepts and encourages sending official high school transcripts using eTranscripts*. Go to your high school web site and click on eTranscripts to order your transcripts.

When to Apply

Transfer students should submit their application no later than four weeks prior to the beginning of the term in which admission is requested. A Work in Progress Report may be requested to support the application when a student is currently enrolled at another institution.

* etranscript information added Fall 2009.

17 Mar 2009