GLOSSARY OF TERMS
- Comprehensive Major
- A series of courses prescribed by an academic department which result in an area of
specialization. The comprehensive major is an alternative to the selection of a major and
minor in meeting baccalaureate degree requirements.
- Degree Audit
- An analysis of a student's progress toward meeting degree requirements. The Audit
provides a summary of institutional requirements, General Studies and major/minor program
requirements. Students have access to degree audit on-line via WebEASI, from their academic advisor or the Office of
Student Records and Registration.
- A course in the curriculum in the choosing of which a student has some options, as
opposed to a required course. The term free or unrestricted elective denotes that the
student either has complete choice in the selection of a course or choice among courses in
several different fields. A restricted elective is one limited to a certain discipline or
group of disciplines, such as an English elective or a social science elective.
- Endorsement, Teaching Field Endorsement
- A field of study in a broad area which qualifies a person for graduation and eligibility
for certification to teach in the State of Nebraska. The field endorsement will normally
qualify a person for teaching two or more subjects, i.e., Physical Science includes the
subjects of Chemistry, Physics, Earth Science and Physical Science.
- Endorsement, Teaching Subject Endorsement
- Study in a specific subject area leading to teacher certification. A student must have
two subject endorsements to qualify for graduation and certification.
- Supplemental Endorsement
- A program of study (e.g. coaching, driver's education) which can be used to complement
field or subject endorsement(s). A supplemental endorsement cannot be used to meet
graduation requirements in teacher education.
- General Studies Review
- A written review by the Office of Student Records and Registration of the student's
progress in satisfying specific course requirements of the UNK General Studies Program.
- A student's chosen field of study. The major may fall within a single department of
instruction or may overlap several departments. In the latter case, the major is described
as a combination or interdisciplinary major.
- A student's secondary field of study.
- Major/Minor Review
- A written evaluation by an academic department of the student's progress in satisfying
specific course requirements of the department's Major, Minor, Comprehensive Major or
Teaching Endorsement programs. The General Studies and Major/Minor Reviews are initiated
when the student completes a Request Form at the Office of Student Records and
Registration. This should be done immediately after the student completes the sophomore
year, i.e., has earned a minimum of 57 credit hours.
- The first registration following admission as a classified student.
- A copy of the permanent academic (educational) record at an institution of higher
education. It becomes an official transcript when the seal of the institution is affixed
and the signature of the Registrar is appended.
11 May 2006